Friday, October 14, 2011

[CE]Earthquake

A strong earthquake has struck near a major town in the Pacific nation of Papua New Guinea, the United States Geological Survey said.

The 6.7-magnitude quake occurred on Friday about 100 kilometers east of Lae, on the country's northern coast at a depth of 63 kilometres, according to the USGS.
There were no immediate reports of damage or injuries and no tsunami alert had been issued.
Papua New Guinea lies on the "Ring of Fire", an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones that stretches around the Pacific Rim where about 90 per cent of the world's quakes occur.
(source:http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2011/10/2011101443354759713.html)

Another earthquake people! Earthquakes are surfacing more and more. This one was 6.7 magnitude, which is fairly strong, and no one reported getting hurt. No tsunami is even better because we’ve all seen what horrible damages that can do.

I am gradually becoming more and more scared of natural disasters. I’ve felt some minor shakes the past months and it is really frightening. I remember watching what happened to Japan when they took some strong hits from the earthquake and tsunami, causing huge amounts of damage. Fortunately nothing like that happened at Papua New Guinea. You cannot control these disasters; it just happens. You can take precautions to prevent yourself from getting hurt and things like that. I feel like i would be helpless if we got hit by a huge quake. I would probably feel panicked and try to leave my house but it is a bit difficult since my grandmother lives with me. I also have a little brother that i’ll have to worry about. Hopefully, i won’t have to experience such a tragic event.

No comments:

Post a Comment